For those of you who don't already know, I'm attempting to become a little bit healthier from now on. I don't mean that I'm aspiring to become a professional athlete, and let's face it, I highly doubt I'll be competing in the next Olympic games either, but hey, it doesn't hurt to try, and improve the way you eat!
I've never been the slimmest of girls. Ever since I hit puberty, I've developed huge hips, curves, and a few jiggly bits here, and there. I mean, I don't really care. There's nothing wrong with having curves at all. You can still look, and feel beautiful, regardless of whether your figure. As long as you feel good on the inside out, then who cares?
So, you can probably tell that I don't exactly feel 100% comfortable at the moment. I don't think I'm necessarily overweight, and I do walk a lot, and have regular PE lessons at school, but I'd like to make more of an effort. You only get one body, and it's important to nurture, and nourish yourself, on both the inside, and the outside.
I'm going to go through 6 of my top tips that I'm trying to follow to become healthier than I have been recently. They're not ground-breakers, but the more we hear about them, the more likely it is that they become cemented in our brains.
1. Drink lots of water. Yep. I'm gonna say what everyone, and their mums will tell you. You honestly do have to up your water intake if you want to improve your health levels. We all know that it can work wonders, but we just never listen, and we never stick to it. Not only does it help flush all of the toxins out of your system, but it also promotes weight loss, increases energy, boosts the immune system, and clears up problematic skin. See, it really is an all rounder! So, why isn't everyone taking advantage of the access that we have to this drink? It's the most natural liquid ever! Come on. Drink up, guys!
2. Switch up those sugary snacks. I know that sugar is the thing that everyone craves when they fancy a snack - but, that doesn't have to be the case much longer. There are many healthier alternatives that you can have as a substitute. Instead of having a bowl of Coco Pops with 2 teaspoons of sugar on them, why don't you go for a bowl of apples, grapes, banana, and strawberries with some low fat, natural yogurt, and half a teaspoon of sugar instead? Not only will you be getting most of your 5 a day portions in one snack, but you'll be getting all of those nutrients, and the natural sweetness that won't make your teeth, and your insides rot! How could you possibly say no to that idea?
3. Aim to stick to the 80-20 rule. This isn't a 'rule' as such, because I don't believe that there should be rules, or restrictions when it comes to what you eat, but you just need to have control, and try to eat as healthy as you can most of the time. When I say aim to stick to the 80-20 rule, I mean that you should try to eat clean, and healthily for 80% of the time, but then indulge, and treat yourself for the other 20%. It's okay to have a chocolate bar, and a packet of crisps if you have eaten a dinner rich in protein, and veg. It's okay to have a takeaway once a week. Just eat as healthy as you can first!
4. Never convince yourself that breakfast isn't important. There's nothing more to say on this one. Just eat breakfast. Always. Even if it's on the go, or really quick. Breakfast is definitely the most important meal, and it's vital that you get your day off to a good start. You won't be able to focus if your tummy is constantly growling at you for neglecting it!
5. Try to limit the fizzy drinks. I know we're all partial to a bottle of Coke every now, and then, but are all of those health risks really worth those few minutes of joy? I think not. It's fine if you want to have a fizzy drink every now, and then, but try not to make it a habit. Habits are easy to get into, but incredibly hard to break.
6. Implement as many of the food groups as you can into your meals. If you only eat meat for your dinner each night, then you're going to become malnourished. The same goes for if you only eat a boiled egg, and toast for breakfast every morning. You need to switch it up, and have a variety. Each food group can provide different nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for your body, and brain. Don't deprive yourself of all that goodness!
Why don't you join me on the journey to becoming healthier, and happier, inside, and out?
Lots of love always,